Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Dogs


I have two Labs’. One is a chocolate lab named Jake, the other is a Black English Lab named Lucy. What is the difference between an English lab and a regular lab?
The Black one is shorter and stockier, but she is not as agile as brown one. The brown one is very quick and agile, and has very good jumping abilities.
Occasionally, I get up in the morning and make the dogs run. I cheat, I ride a bike. A fifteen speed Costco special. It makes it easy for me, but the dogs really have to run .... just to keep up.
Even on the hills, I can shift into easy pedal mode and hardly break a sweat. The dogs are really working hard. This is the most wonderful thing in the world for them. And they really seem to LOVE it!
It brings me joy to see them after I get back home, their little tongues hanging out about ten inches from their muzzles … this tell's me that they are really getting a good workout, when the two of them are sucking air like that. It’s not hot here right now. I live in the Pacific Northwest … in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. This time of year it is kind of drizzly and cold. Perfect dog running weather!!! And after our little morning run we spend a little time together playing. I grab an old piece of rope and play tug o war with them. While doing this we stop and I tell them to sit n stay, while I proceed to walk away a good distance and then call them to me. We do this and other things. They do well (usually) …. I do not treat the dogs like people. I treat them like dogs. That means that in my home I am the Alpha Dog. They do what I want them to do. Or I hammer them (to remind them who is in charge) .... One really kewl thing about Dogs, unlike people, is that they will love you unconditionally … I don’t really think that I had a good grasp of this before owning Dogs, I mean … I thought that I did. But now I cam literally see it. Every day. No matter how hard assed I am with them, they love me. Its pretty amazing.
I love these dogs.

No comments: